Plastic And Cork Industry

The objective of this case study is to recycle the PVC plastic offcuts from slippers production to produce new slippers from scrap PVC plastics and approach cradle-to-cradle design. This case study was implemented in a company located in Sohag, Egypt (upper Egypt), which produces around 1,500 metric tons/year of PVC sheets, cut to make footwear. The cutting and printing process used around 70 percent of the PVC sheet with the remaining 30 percent being discarded as scrap. In total, 450 metric tons of scrap PVC were sent to the local landfill each year.

This case study was prepared and implemented in cooperation between El-Ameer for plastic and Cork Company and Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA) SEAM project. The company produces 1,050 metric tons of products every year from 1,500 metric tons of raw material. This case study led to the recycling of 450 metric tons of scrap plastic to produce slippers. Capital investment was $100,000 and resulted in annual savings of $560,000, providing a payback in two months.

The process flow diagram to produce final product from raw material, as well as final product from recycled waste, is shown in Figure 1.19. A number of trials were undertaken to develop the optimum recipe, as shown in Table 1.2. Table 1.2 shows the recipes used for producing PVC sheets using new PVC and that for recycling scrap PVC.

Kringloop Armoede Binnenkant
FIGURE 1.19 Process flow diagram for plastic and cork industry according to cradle-to-cradle concept.
TABLE 1.2 Raw Material Recipes Using Raw Material and Scrap PVC

No.

Raw Material

Using New PVC

Using Scrap PVC

Renewable Energy Eco Friendly

Renewable Energy Eco Friendly

Renewable energy is energy that is generated from sunlight, rain, tides, geothermal heat and wind. These sources are naturally and constantly replenished, which is why they are deemed as renewable.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment